Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Hydroponics

My parents got Ryan and I an Aerogarden for Christmas and we are just seeing the first sprouts poking their heads through. We have been struggling with how to keep some fresh veggies growing here in the winter. The greenhouses we looked at didn't seem sturdy enough to take a few attacks by the dog, and I really don't like the idea of going out in the freezing cold to cut herbs or greens for dinner.

Ryan has been busy researching hydroponics and other growing options, and I think we may have an idea. We have had a problem with the door from our mud room/pantry room to the garage, it had to be removed because it was damaging the line for the air conditioning. I think this summer we will build out that doorway, and then build a small grow room in the corner of the garage that butts up against the pantry room. This will allow us to finally have a door blocking the cold of the garage, and we can reopen the heat vents in the mud room so I don't freeze my toes off! We will then create a door to the grow room, build in shelves and open the door if we need to regulate the temperature. Ryan wants to use LED lights and a hydroponic structure, and I am happy to go along with that as they are low heat and low energy consumption lights and there is no soil mess. We will be trying to grow tomatoes, beans, broccoli, salad greens and strawberries next year. How cool will it be to pick fresh strawberries in the middle of winter!

No comments: