Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Reflections

Is it a bad sign that you drive around the block, listening to a song, to pump yourself up to go home to your family? Tonight after teaching I knew I was heading into a house full of crabby, energetic people, and that there was a good possibility that the house was messy. I also knew that I needed to finish grading, make snacks for the Valentine's parties tomorrow and write a paper. I decided that I needed to listen to Cat Stevens "On the Road to Find Out" it always helps me look objectively at my life.

I say often how thankful I am for what I have, and how hard it has been to get here. I received my surveys from my PT school yesterday with how my classes last session felt about me, my teaching and the course. My ratings are always pretty good, and while I love looking at the numbers, my favorite are the comments the students write on the back. It is great to hear how much they liked the class, how they felt about my occasionally unconvential style of teaching and that they wish I taught more classes. I really enjoy what I do, and being a fairly young professor, I approach teaching differently. It is so fulfilling to know that I am getting through to my students, that what I do everyday means something.

So many people never expected me to be a professor, I am sure it is a huge shock to anyone I spent time with at Clemson. I am positive they are shocked that I amounted to anything, let alone someone entrusted with educating our youth. I have changed and adapted over the years, learned how to balance my views of the world, how to merge the me that always existed with the roles I play. In the past year, I am happier than I ever have been. I can see my future, and I am happy with where I am going. The best choice I ever made in my life was to continue my education, it has allowed me to be home for my kids, and also do something with my life that reaches out to others. I am an idealist when talking of education, I believe it is the key to freedom of the mind and soul. Education doesn't open doors, it blasts the walls out and gives you answers to all of the secrets of the world. Many enter their degrees with the hopes of gettinga good job or making money, I am on my educational journey so that I can help others reach their potential, see the options and question what they always held as true.

Here are the lyrics to that song, try blasting it alone in your car, and feel the words, feel the possibilities that are available to you.

On The Road To Find Out

Well I left my happy home to see what I could find out
I left my folk and friends with the aim to clear my mind out
Well I hit the rowdy road and many kinds I met there
Many stories told me of the way to get there

So on and on I go, the seconds tick the time out
There's so much left to know, and I'm on the road to find out

Well in the end I'll know, but on the way I wonder
Through descending snow, and through the frost and thunder

Well, I listen to the wind come howl, telling me I have to hurry
I listen to the robin's song saying not to worry

So on and on I go, the seconds tick the time out
There's so much left to know, and I'm on the road to findout

Then I found myself alone, hopin' someone would miss me
Thinking about my home, and the last woman to kiss me, kiss me

But sometimes you have to moan when nothing seems to suit yer
But nevertheless you know you're locked towards the future

So on and on you go, the seconds tick the time out
There's so much left to know, and I'm on the road to findout

Then I found my head one day when I wasn't even trying
And here I have to say, 'cause there is no use in lying, lying

Yes the answer lies within, so why not take a look now?
Kick out the devil's sin, pick up, pick up a good book now

No comments: