Thursday, May 29, 2008

Over scheduled

So many kids today are over scheduled. I know what I am talking about since I had poor Haven over scheduled in kindergarten and first grade with dance. Now I see the error of my ways, and discovered that having my kids in a million activities does not make me a better mother. Actually I find the more we spend time together and I show the kids how to run a house, draw an elephant, plant a plant, etc is more valuable to their growth and education. Haven is not always the most pleasant child, but I still would rather her spend time at home (crabby and all) then be ferried to a million activities to get rid of her. She does have things she does, but she doesn't need to be in all the sports, all the clubs and all the groups. Kids need play time, and with school days getting longer, and the large amount of homework that kids need to do, they barely have time to eat dinner and take a bath, let alone play or GOG FORBID, do CHORES!!

If the world would allow kids to be kids, to teach them responsibility and how to work as a team within the family, I think our kids would do better in school and be generally happier.

Just my two cents.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Amen! Sign me up for the same 2 cents!
Bonnie