is much harder to can than one would think. I made the syrup, heated the jars and sliced the apples. The first jar I packed the apple slices and tried to add the syrup, but it was too thick and wouldn't drip down. I fixed that one and put aside. Then for the next jar, I added some apple, then some syrup, and so on. This worked pretty well, but I still had some pockets at the bottom without syrup. For the last two, I added syrup THEN apples and layered. Whew, it worked. This has been the hardest canning option yet, the syrup makes quite a mess and can be difficult to work with, I will have to rethink my plan. Right now four quarts are in the canner and will be ready in about 20 mins, then I will cut more apples and make as many pints as the syrup will give, I am guessing 4-6.
The apple butter will cook all day in the crockpot, it was the applesauce I made yesterday and will be canned in jelly jars. After I finish the apple pie filling, I will do another batch of applesauce, we eat it by the jarful so we can never have too much!
Off to can!