Sunday, December 30, 2007

Dreary Day

So today has been dreary and dragging. We got up and I gave the kids the pumpkin muffins I had stashed in the freezer. I made a fire, Ryan came home and moved a few loads of wood into the garage to keep it dry and we began our day. The kids haven't had a stellar day, a lot of petty arguing and general testiness, so I think they will need to go out tomorrow and get some energy out.

I have been trying to relax for the weekend, but today I did get a few things done. I washed a couple of loads of laundry, I cleaned Sammy the hamster's cage, vacuumed, cleaned the kitchen lamps and made some granola bars for the kids. Right now, the fire is warm and wonderful, there is a turkey breast roasting away in the oven, and some potatoes and onions sizzling in the skillet. I will also make stuffing for the part of my tribe that doesn't enjoy potatoes and onions, and of course there will be a green veggie, probably broccoli.

I love the warmth of a winter evening, the bustle of the kids coloring in the dining room and the warm glow of the the fireplace. Given the events of the last few days, I am so thankful that we are working to raise the children in a loving, family focused environment. Even on their worst day, the find a way to play together, help each other, and love each other. I am a lucky mama.

No comments: