Saturday, August 1, 2009

Taking bets, figuring out Haven and what were we thinking

Interesting title, this post should be a big mish mash, and please keep in mind the baby was up to eat every two hours and I haven't had any coffee yet.

Taking bets....

My mother in law is supposed to come visit today to see the baby, and I guess by default, the rest of us. This is the first time I have seen her since the big to do on Easter Sunday and I am not looking forward to it. I am also not happy that she is coming only on the days my husband has off, I am guessing I will get almost no help and then have to face the week with little to no rest. Great. She said she will be here around lunchtime, which is interesting since it is a 7 hour drive from LI and she is known for being late, like days late, for everything. The best part is, she never calls to tell us if and when she leaves, so we get to be stuck at the house waiting! I am taking bets on when and if she arrives...I am guessing she will show up sometime around 10 pm if at all.

Figuring out Haven
We try so hard to live a natural lifestyle. We eat food that is as pure as possible, I use natural cleaners, we breastfeed and cloth diaper, recycle and compost. We limited and adapted vaccines for the thre older children and are at present not vaccinating Teagan until she is two. It irks me to no end that Haven needs daily medication. I KNOW she needs the epi pen available just in case she has a reaction, but we thankfully have not needed to use it. I KNOW she needs the Depakote to control the seizures, but I hate giving it to her every day. We had taken her off the ADHD meds after school ended as the neurologist felt that she only needed them to help her get over the hump of going from a world full of seizures and missing information, to one now free from seizures and filled with an overwhelming amount of information. As the summer progressed, we found that she was really struggling to stay on task, to follow directions and to have self control. Some we believed was due to her being off schedule, especially the food schedule (she needs to eat a very balanced diet, low in carbs and sugars including natural sugars) as well as all the changes with the baby coming. A week ago, we tried her back on the ADHD meds and she is so much better, but it pains Ryan and I that she NEEDS it to function. I am OK with necessary medications, but I wish the real Haven could come through without it....but if she is off, we lose our girl and she is in constant trouble. It is a terrible place to be.

What were we thinking?
Um, I have FOUR kids..that is a lot of kids, my rear view mirror is full of little faces and the infant seat since Teagan is rear facing. We are a LARGE family, and while it is what I wanted and I love it, all I can say is WOW, we have A LOT of kids!

No comments: