Sunday, February 15, 2009

Adventures in Cooking

I am always ready to try something new that will fill my kids bellies and save me a little time. I hate them eating cereal for breakfast on school days, especially in winter, but oatmeal takes a little while to make. I also like to make my own oatmeal combos using dried fruits to make it exciting. Last night I decided to try and make oatmeal in my crockpot overnight. Some people had problems with theirs burning and recommended cooking on warm...it did not work here. When I got up it was still soupy. I turned the heat up and somehow we managed to save the oatmeal and the kids are enjoying it as we speak. Today's concoction includes oats, of course, chopped dried figs, raisins, dried blueberries and dried apples. It was sweetened with some pure maple syrup and there is a dash of cinnamon sprinkled on top. I love that my kids are such great eaters!

No comments: