Monday, May 24, 2010

A decade

Ten years ago, at 5:57 pm, I became a mother.  That day, that new title, changed me for every more.  Ten years ago today, my oldest daughter Haven was born and my world was never the same.  I was young, 24 years old, and so unprepared for what becoming a mother meant.  The first two years of Haven's life were a roller coaster. She had horrible reflux the entire time, food allergies cropped up, she has issues gaining weight, a heart condition, asthma and a strong little personality even then.....it was tough, but the one thing we learned was how to advocate for our child and get her the best care.

Now at ten she is an amazing person.  She is loving, sweet and kind.  She is also loud, crazy and demanding!  She keeps us on our toes, and still has a few medical things going on (waiting for a Neuro call as I write) but she is so strong, physically and mentally. She has overcome years of seizures to excel in school.  She walks her own path and lives a life true to herself.  She is unique and I love her for it.

So my dear Haven, my first born, thank you for making me a mother. Thank you for teaching me to love unconditionally and to know what it is like to be willing to die for someone else no questions asked. Thank you for being my girl and for always being yourself.  Our tribe would not be complete without you!

No comments: