Saturday, January 28, 2012

A much needed down home cozy day

Finn started my day early at 5:30 but it was actually pretty nice.  We came downstairs, changed his diaper, I made coffee and he and I got to hang out alone for an hour before Teagan and Gray came down, then Haven and finally Britt.  Kids enjoyed breakfast and I got laundry running and made two beautiful loaves of cinnamon raisin bread which will make French toast for tomorrow's breakfast.  Now I am hanging around while the kids straighten the playroom and the babies sleep.  I am planning a big family dinner tonight, my famous stuffed meatloaf, roasted brussel sprouts with balsamic vinegar and mashed sweet potatoes.  I also promised the kids some fried apple pies with ice cream for dessert, so I need to get working  on the apple filling soon.

As with any time where change is looming, I hunker down at home, cook, clean and spend time assessing the situation.  There is something serene about rolling out dough, or cutting vegetables or scrubbing a tub.  It is simple, easy and the result is always a good one.  Right now we are trying to figure out what to do if I lose my job, and what we will do if I don't.  Times like this make me feel excited and scared, there is a chance for a new adventure, a new page in the book and new scenery, but with that comes the fear of the unknown, the work needed to get somewhere else and the sadness of having to leave a place you know well.  Time will tell, options are being explored and I truly believe that fate will lead us in the right direction.

No comments: