Friday, June 6, 2008

Antsy Pantsy

Everyone few months I get really antsy. I start thinking about moving, or a new job, or during bad times, a new husband :)

I like the area we live in enough, and I can see why lots of people love living here, good schools, amenities, etc. To me, it is all very BLAH. I feel like we live in limbo, not the north, not the south. Being that Ryan has sworn never to move south, I guess that means we will someday look to head back north. We live close to DC, but I really don't like it there. I am not sure if it is because I don't feel comfortable getting around, or that I am not sure where things are, but I really don't enjoy going into DC to spend time. Last summer when we were in NYC with my family, I really enjoyed showing the kids "my" city. Having grown up so close, and spent so much time there both playing and working, I am very comfortable in NYC. If we lived within an hour of there, I would bring the kids in all the time, as I know my way and feel happy when I am there.

So where does this leave us? Right now we are trapped here, the housing market is so bad that we couldn't move if we needed to. I have two more years on the doctorate, and we hope the market is better around the same time I am done. I have two big choices when we are able to move again, do I look for a job in education or corporate America? Obviously the later will pay significantly more, but a job in education is much better for my soul. I guess time will tell. I am not opposed to working in NYC again in the future, although we would buy a house upstate. Ah the joys of planning a life, good thing I have time.

No comments: