Thursday, April 29, 2010

Out with the dirty birds

I have to give credit where credit is due, my dear friend Emily who I have slowly begun dragging over to the dark side where we eat organic and recycle, found us a place to get chicken! We get our beef from a local farm, and it is delicious and affordable. See she has a family of five, we have a family of six, so feeding the family good food still needs to be manageable and buying a half cow at a time and splitting it between families does that.

Now chicken has been a difficult task. Chicken is notoriously "dirty" as food goes. The way the chickens are raised: antibiotics, animal by-products, growth hormones, filth. The way they are processed...yuck. But chicken that is natural and clean is hard to come by at a price we can pay. The farm we frequent sells roasts, that are about 5 lbs, for over 16 dollars. Feeding our families chicken that was healthy was not affordable until today, today Emily found local, relatively inexpensive, healthy chicken. I placed our first order today, and as long as it is up to standards, I expect to be filling my freezer full. The company she located also has tons of other items, including cheeses, grains, produce, and meats, so I am excited to have another resource at my fingertips, and another way to tempt Emily to my side....bwaaahahahaha!

No comments: