Sunday, May 1, 2011

Sell it baby

I have always found it hard to apply for jobs and talk yourself up, it seems to go against what we are all taught about bragging.  Right now I am "selectively" applying for positions, only ones that I feel passionate about, that work with my research specialization and allow me to still work primarily from home.  I have a few I have sent info out to, but there is one that just last week I saw and would be a perfect fit pending that they hire me as a consultant and not a traditional employee.   I responded to their listing, indicated my background and qualifications and my desire to work as a consultant and not an employee, and I guess we will see what happens.  I am pretty sure there are not too many local folks who specialize in eco-product labels and marketing, but maybe I am wrong, or maybe they want someone's butt in a seat every day.  If I got this and they took me on as a consultant, I would get to work in a field I am incredibly passionate about, get some time away from the house to work on projects, work at various trade shows and conventions which focus on eco-products and boost our financial bottom line.  I think it would be a great opportunity, and while I am nervous about adding a new gig to my work load, I would probably drop PT school from the list since the pay just doesn't balance the work load sometimes. 

I am getting excited about my future.  I love what I do, and I will never leave higher education, there is something great about working with students, but I also want to write books, speak and consult.  I feel like it is worth all the work I have done up until this point, the long hours and tears, and that I will get this pesky dissertation done and it will be a great accomplishment.  It is great to see everything come together and I am hoping that one of the companies/organizations I am reaching out to decides that we would work well together and we will see what the future holds!

No comments: