Saturday, October 22, 2011

Just the beginning

Oh how I love Fall.  There is something about the shorter days, the crisp air and all those pumpkins and apples that make me swoon.  When Fall begins to really hit here in Virginia, like it has this week, it makes me almost giddy.  Even though we had a long week full of sick people and no sleep, the air has gotten brisk and I can feel it coming...my one true love, winter.

Fall is great because it reminds me of growing up back in NY.  The smells, the rituals of the holidays and the simpleness of it all makes me feel all warm and fuzzy. Fall then gives way to Winter which is my favorite time of the year, hunkered down in a house with a roaring fire, baking bread and my favorite people...throw in snow for a super bonus!

We have begun welcoming Fall this weekend.  Today the kids and I did a big clean then we broke out the Halloween decorations and even went out to pick up some extra decorations.  Teagan is that great age where she is super into the holidays, so we went a bit overboard decorating the inside of the house, but she is beyond thrilled screaming "My Hallo-eeeney" when she sees everything.  I also made the kids cookies and let them frost them with orange icing and decorate with Halloween sprinkles...they had a blast.  I have been baking more this week and today made a batch of dough that we will use to make pizza pockets for dinner.  Tomorrow will be our first real Fall feast with roast chicken, stuffing and acorn squash for dinner and then apple turnovers with pumpkin ice cream for dessert.

Bring it on, the crunchy leaves, the cool air, bring me Fall so we can get to Winter!

No comments: